Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Speed Trap

Driving down the highway the other day, my backseat passenger asks, "Mom, why are all the other cars passing us?"

Indeed, it did seem as though we were being passed quite often. I checked my speed. I'm going 5 over. Hmmm? First inclination was to give it more gas and keep up with traffic. After all, who wants to be the driver everyone is passing? But instead I thought Teachable Moment! And I slowed down to the speed limit.

Then everyone really was passing us (old ladies in Buicks, Amish buggies...) But I kept the needle right on the speed limit and drove along, nose in the air, because I was in the right, a law-abiding good citizen.

Yes, look at me! I don't speed. Go ahead and pass me, sinner. I'm taking the slow lane to heaven. So full of self-righteousness and sanctimony. Halo over my head. It is a wonder I didn't sprout angel wings then and there. I am so good, I am so good, na-na-nana-na, I am so good.

Ugh. I just can't win.

Back to going 5 over.

No comments: