Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Media's Favorite Cult

Excellent news, shoppers! The FLDS now has an online store:

http://fldsdress.com

It appears their vacation outside the compound taught them something about capitalism and marketing. Good for them! Enterprising Americans!

I admit, I am tempted to buy one of those little dresses for my 3-year old. Or one of the nightgowns! So cute!! Kinda pricey.... I could make them for less.... if I could sew properly.

Moral dilemma - is it right to support (via a business transaction) a polygamist cult?

(Yeah, that's coming from someone who just vacationed in Vegas. Ha ha ha.)

But wait! Before you answer, did you know the Walton family that founded (and still owns a large percentage of) the Wal-Mart chain is Mormon?

Caught between a rock and a hard place...

5 comments:

sara said...

ooo you're gonna get a lot of hits for this one.

Kelly said...

They're almost all made from polyester. Don't these people live out in the desert?

Sue Bee said...

Yeah, what's up with the polyester? Maybe they don't like to iron.

Milehimama @ Mama Says said...

I think they are overpriced.

That said, many of these women grew up in this cult. They might just learn that they can support themselves and GET OUT if the business is successful.

By purchasing, you might be empowering a *soon to be former* victim. Maybe.

But I doubt the menfolk are doing the sewing, and knowing you have a marketable skill goes a long way to throwing off oppressors.

Thursday's Child said...

I don't think I'd care to buy their stuff. The little girls' dresses are cute and would look adorable on the Diva, but I'd rather just invest in a sewing machine and practice. :)

Maybe I'd be helping to empower them but I doubt it. I'm pretty certain the men are behind this business venture and you can bet they're controlling the money.