1. The words "hour" and "time" (as found in verse 4) are used to point to His inevitable crucifixion, His sacrificial death on the cross, not His glorification as Messiah. See Matthew 26:18; Mark 14:35, 14:41; John 7:6-8, 7:30, 8:20, 12:23, 12:27, 13:1,16:32, 17:1.
2.Verses 24-25 - But Jesus on his part did not entrust himself to them, because he knew all people and needed no one to bear witness about man, for he himself knew what was in man. For some reason these verses were underlined in my Bible. I don't recall why I underlined them, but it drew my attention and I looked a little deeper into their meaning. The following cross references are given:
- Isaiah 11:3 - And his delight shall be in the fear of the Lord.He shall not judge by what his eyes see,or decide disputes by what his ears hear,
- Deuteronomy 31:21 - And when many evils and troubles have come upon them, this song shall confront them as a witness (for it will live unforgotten in the mouths of their offspring). For I know what they are inclined to do even today, before I have brought them into the land that I swore to give.
- 1 Kings 8:39 - then hear in heaven your dwelling place and forgive and act and render to each whose heart you know, according to all his ways (for you, you only, know the hearts of all the children of mankind)
- Matthew 9:4 -But Jesus, knowing their thoughts, said, “Why do you think evil in your hearts?
- John 6:61 - But Jesus, knowing in himself that his disciples were grumbling about this, said to them, “Do you take offense at this?
- John 6:64 - But there are some of you who do not believe.” (For Jesus knew from the beginning who those were who did not believe, and who it was who would betray him.)
- John 13:11 - For he knew who was to betray him; that was why he said, “Not all of you are clean.”
What is John telling us in verses 24-25? My guess, 1) Jesus is divine/God (He is omniscient). 2) Men are evil - He knows men and He knows they can't be trusted, no matter what they say.
It's not an altar call.
Enough eisegesis for tonight. :-)