Sunday, December 30, 2007

Perfection

The perfect wife. The perfect mother. The perfect woman. The perfect child. The perfect birth.

I've been thinking about New Year's Resolutions and trying to decide if I should make some this year.

The perfect home. The perfect bread recipe. The perfect dinner menu. The perfect diet. The perfect exercise routine.

It seems that the end of the year causes me to do a lot of introspection and examination. And with it, much harsh criticism of myself and my shortcomings.

The perfect church. The perfect Bible. The perfect prayers. The perfect faith.

And while dwelling on the long long list of things I need to improve, it occurred to me that being obsessed with self-improvement is not what I want my life to be about.

The perfect home school. The perfect reading list. The perfect cleaning schedule. The perfect blog.

I'd rather focus on loving my Lord, my husband, my children, my friends & neighbors and not on how much weight I need to lose or whether or not my home is spotless or how many books I've read.

The perfect HMB. The perfect natural cleaners. The perfect length of hair. The perfect dresses. The perfect make-up.


After all, isn't that what Christ was trying to tell us? Our lives aren't about trying to be perfect, He's done that for us. Our lives are about loving Him.


Just as I am, without one plea
But that thy blood was shed for me
And that thou bidd’st me come to thee
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Just as I am and waiting not
To rid my soul of one dark blot,
To thee, whose blood can cleanse each spot,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Just as I am, though tossed about
With many a conflict, many a doubt,
Fightings and fears within, without,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Just as I am, poor, wretched, blind;
Sight, riches, healing of the mind,
Yea, all I need, in thee to find,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Just as I am, thou wilt receive,
Wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve;
Because thy promise I believe,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Just a I am; thy love unknown
Has broken every barrier down;
Now to be thine, yea, thine alone,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

-Charlotte Elliott 1835

4 comments:

Milehimama @ Mama Says said...

The problem is not trying to be perfect - after all, we are commanded to be perfect, even as our Heavenly father is perfect.

The problem is letting other people, not Christ, define perfection.

Sue Bee said...

The problem is letting other people, not Christ, define perfection.
Indeed that is a problem! The world's version of perfection is certainly not God's.

But I'm wondering, how does Christ define perfection?

Milehimama @ Mama Says said...

Imitating Him.

Love. Taking up our cross. Enduring to the end.

Matthew ch. 5 lays it out, pretty much.

Sue Bee said...

Thank you for not telling me to read the King James Bible and do everything that it commands! :-)